Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium



I've been on an Imperial Guard kick lately in terms of gaming and fluff. I'll just blame it on the new codex. Regardless, I've made my way through the entirety of Dan Abnett's excellent "Gaunt's Ghosts" series as well as a few one-shotters such as Gunheads. Recently I've picked up the first Ciaphas Cain omnibus, penned by Sandy Mitchell. I have to admit that I was skeptical about this release, mostly because I am skeptical of every Black Library release by an author which I am not already familiar with (Dan Abnett FTW!) However, Mr. Mitchell has proven that my reservations were unfounded.

I am only about half way through with the first book, but I already feel compelled to write about it. I find Mitchell's satiric take on the grim darkness of the 41st millennium refreshing. Too often Black Library authors tend to take themselves and their creations far too seriously and the results are unengaging plot-lines and overly stiff, boring, under-developed characters. Mitchell on the other hand has a narrative voice reminiscent of such notable literary figures as Kurt Vonnegut Jr. and Jonathan Ames(Minus the perversion.)

Commissar Cain proves to be an intriguing departure from the standard fare of Black Library protagonists. His cowardice, which is consistently misconstrued as heroism due to an unusual series of events, leads him to ever greater fame and glory within Imperial circles. For example, early in his career Cain finds himself fleeing from a horde of termagaunts, leaving a comrade to be ripped to shreds in the process. However, while running from the gaunts Cain finds himself headed straight for a particularly angry Hive Tyrant. So, in the interest of his own self-preservation he turns tail and heads for the lesser of the two evils - the relatively wimpy gaunts - cutting a number of them up with his chainsword (and seemingly risking his life to rescue a low-ranking trooper) before he and his comrade are rescued by supporting fire which annhillates the Tyranid threat. Of course, his perceived penchant for glory causes him to be assigned to increasingly dangerous assignments- quite contrary to Cain's personal wishes.

Excellent stuff so far.

2 comments:

  1. Now, when you liken her to Vonnegut, I've got to go a-looking.

    Then again, a more satirical take on GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FUTURE is always a bit welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cain books are the best I've read (and I've read ALOT of BL books). I'm going through Gaunt's Ghosts now and I keep thinking "what would Cain do".

    ReplyDelete